Tuesday, September 09, 2003



A lot of my work has come out or will be coming out this month. Already available is Superman: Birthright #3. I don't have a scan of the cover yet, as I will only get my copies tomorrow. Head on over to the main page to see the cover art without titles and letters.

Out September 13 is V Necks and Neckties CD by San Pablo City indie band Mellow Del Prado for which I drew the cover to. It's actually a wrap around cover only half of which you will see when looking at the CD. You will see all of it when you take out the cover paper and open it out. I sorta got the idea from Bruce Springsteen's BORN TO RUN album. I don't remember now how these guys got in touch with me, but I think it was via email. It's such a trip to know a band like this right here in San Pablo and for me to do a cover for them is really quite a rush.

Out around September 15 is Graphic Classics: Bram Stoker for which I adapted, pencilled, inked and lettered a 16-page adaptation of Bram Stoker's short story "The Judge's House". This would represent my 2nd complete pencilling and inking job to come out in the US. (The first being Ochlocrat) I have several more stories lined up to come out in Prophecy Magazine, but publication of that magazine, although sure, is still on hold for the time being. Slowly but surely, I'm getting to do much more drawing, which was what I wanted all along when I first started doing comics. The look of Ochlocrat and Judge's House is wildly different. Feedback of too much detail on Ochlocrat is something I took to heart and I tried to incorporate it into the Judge's House. The latter story has less lines going all over the place and has more blacks. I'm still not sure if I really nailed the style I want, but I know I'm getting there.

All this may seem a lot, but I can get very lazy sometimes. There would be a day here and there where I would just lie down and watch DVDs all day, or be online and play games on the computer all day. Sometimes I just read comics. Speaking of which, I got a whole bunch of them the other day:

JLA Vs. AVENGERS #1 (of 4) written by Kurt Busiek, pencilled and inked by George Perez Oh man! Having grown up with Crisis, this series reminds me why I fell in love with comics in the first place. For anyone who didn't grow up with Crisis or Teen Titans, the look and feel of this series may seem old school, but me, I'm a kid all over again! It's not deep or thought provoking or angst ridden, but it was never meant to be that in the first place. It's done for the sheer enjoyment of seeing super powered heroes in colorful costumes from different companies duking it out with George Perez at the helm. To me, superhero comics are never more fun!

The SANDMAN: Endless Nights Special. Neil Gaiman and Miguelanxo Prado. Gaiman really has a way with words and concepts. Brilliant little story about the beginning of everything. I don't know who this artist is, well I know him now, but he's really good. X-Men artist Frank Quitely has a pinup here which is a lot better than most of his X-men work. If he colored his illustration too, I'm sold! That coloring is really really good.

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE: The DC Universe Stories of ALAN MOORE At last! I've been nearly killing myself looking for these stories but it had been darned near impossible. Great of DC to compile all of Alan's stories for DC (outside of Swamp Thing and Watchmen) in one book. I've been aching to read a lot of these stories for such a long time. Needless to say, after having read most of the book by now, I gotta say with much more conviction: Alan Moore is fucking brilliant. There. Nothing more can be said.

:)