Tuesday, November 11, 2003


Siglo: Celebrating One Hundred Years of Freedom

I really haven't talked about it before now, but I've been invited to contribute to this comics project masterminded by Dean Alfar and Mike Simbulan. I wrote and drew a 10 page story about San Dig, a district in San Pablo back in the 1940's, incorporating a completely true family legend in the process. There is a fascinating legend that has been passed through the generations concerning the Alanguilan family. I've always wanted to do a comic book about it and this project seemed to be the vest venue for it.



And like all pencilling and inking gigs I've taken for the last several years, I try to do something different each time. Because of the limited time in which I had in my schedule to do it, I had to develop a style that was quick to do, without making it look that I just totally rushed it. There may be a page or two that may seem rushed, but a great majority of pages in this story I put a lot of thought into, specially in how to put down the lines. Overall I was pretty happy with it, although people who are used to seeing detail in my work would probably think I hacked it off which I most honestly did not.

I'm very excited to be part of this project as I think the overall concept is brilliant. 10 stories from 10 decades of life in the Philippines, written and drawn by some of the best writers and artists in comics. How can I refuse? I'm told that this should be at the printers as early as next month and should be arriving in HARDBACK! I can't wait!