Sunday, November 21, 2004

Damned Viruses!


Damned Viruses!


If you received an email from me, most likely with a virus, originating from my address "gerry@alanguilan.com", then it most definitely did not come from me. Some of my friends have told me that they received viruses from me from that address. Even I received an email from that address just now.

But it can't have come from me because that is an address I have NOT USED to send any messages for the past 2 or more years. However, it is now simply a forwarding address that points to my yahoo email address. And my yahoo address is the one I use to send email messages now.

What people need to understand is the kind of insidious viruses that are in play now. They are capable of sending themselves using SOMEONE ELSE's address. It could be mine. It could be yours. That doesn't mean the virus is using your computer. It's just using your address to send viruses. Where did they get your address? Most likely from address books of people whose computers ARE infected.

I update my computer's anti virus as much as two times a week so I know if my computer is infected or not.