Monday, April 22, 2002


Laguna Internet rocks! If I renew my pre paid plan of 100 hours before April 30, I'll get a hundred hours free! At least that's how I understand their promo. If you renew your pre paid plans before that date, they will double your subscription hours. Which is really cool! Since I only need to renew when the hours run out, I can pretty much make that 200 hours last a long time, specially now when I'm only around my computer on weekends.

Being away from my computer is a big help too because I think I may have developed carpal tunnel syndrome. Part of wrist and arm hurt now, specially when grasping a mouse. The pain goes away when I'm in Manila away from my computer. Can anyone recommend some exercise I can do for this thing?

Early in the week I met with Leinil to pick up some High Roads pages for me to ink. We also watched Showtime! with Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy. I didn't watch it for those two though. I watched it because William Shatner was in it!! Damned shame he was on screen for less than 5 minutes. The movie was OK, and Eddie Murphy continues to blow me away with his acting. damned shame they don't give out acting awards to comedians. Eddie Murphy would clean house every time.

Later in the week I had to drop all comics stuff to concentrate on our architect's convention at the Manila Midtown Hotel. It all went really fine. It's like a whole different world. It's whole different set of people, different kind of language to use, different clothes to wear. I used to hate wearing formal clothing but now I see the value of it. Strange as it may seem, people treat you better because of it. I went to the convention at different times wearing different clothes. The first time was in casual wear. Jeans, shirt, boots. It went OK, but when I returned later in barong, slacks and leather shoes, I was suddenly greeted from all sides, specially from the hotel personnel and exhibitors, by "Sir!" "Welcome!" "Good afternoon!". Here's a pic of me in a semi formal barong with my girlfriend Ilyn. This wasn't really taken at the convention but at home before the event.



I was so engrossed in our activities that to receive text messages from Leinil or Ed was really disconcerting. It's like 2 of my world suddenly collided.

My Nosferatu DVD also arrived while I was away. This is the original 1921 movie starring Max Schreck and directed by FW Murnau. It's the movie which inspired the John Malkovich/Willem Dafoe movie "Shadow of the Vampire". Nosferatu was actually the very first vampire movie, predating Bela Lugosi's Dracula by a decade. Nosferatu was freely adapted from Bram Stoker's novel, but the names were changed because they were not able to get permission to adapt the book officially. When Bram Stoker's widow found out about it, she sued big time, but the film company that produced Nosferatu became bankrupt. She instead asked for all prints of the film be destroyed. Thankfully enough, some prints (or maybe even just ONE), survived.




When I saw it, wow, this movie is truly CREEPY, and manages to frighten, even for an old silent movie like this. I like it better than Bela's Dracula to be honest, or even Frank Langella's or Tom and Brad's or Gary Oldman's. Well, Christopher Lee's Dracula still rocks of course!