Monday, January 20, 2003

This is a drawing I did which came out in Graphic Classics' H.P. Lovecraft book which came out late last year. The drawing in the book is black and white but I just played around with it in Photoshop and posted it here. It's an illustration from verses 17 and 18 of Lovecraft's poem Fungi From Yuggoth.

I've been hearing a lot about Lovecraft for a long time, specially in connection with Alan Moore, but I've never actually read any of his works until I received the poem, parts of which I was tasked to illustrate. I read some more when I got this book and read everything else the other contributors made. I thought Lovecraft himself was a fascinating subject and his work, truly magnificently grotesque.

It was a delight to see Richard Corben, Rick Geary, J.B. Bonivert and Mark A. Nelson adapt and illustrate what turns out to be one of Lovecraft's more popular creations, Herbert West: Re-Animator, which I saw years ago starring Jeffrey Combs. As part of the payment for the drawing, the publisher sent me the Millennium Edition of the DVD!! Thanks! It was fascinating to read the original version of Re-Animator, and as always, Richard Corben rocks!

This is the first illustration I did for Graphic Classics, and I'm glad to say that this isn't the last. I just finished another piece illustrating a scene from "Modern Duelling", a short story by Jack London, for a book spotlighting his life and works. I'm also currently researching for my 17 page adaption of The Judge's House, a short story by Bram Stoker. The Jack London book comes out in a few months, while the Bram Stoker book probably towards the end of the year.

I'm really glad I'm getting more and more pencilling and inking (and to an extent, writing) jobs as I'm ready to show more of my stuff aside from inking. I hope to do more and more of these as time goes on.

Get your copies here! :)
GRAPHIC CLASSICS: H.P. Lovecraft