Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Alex Niño

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Alex Niño

This is one of more remarkable drawings by Alex Niño I've seen. I've already seen it before on the pages of Satan's Tears but it wasn't until I saw it again on the pages of an American made fanzine called DESTINY did I fully appreciate it. The brushstrokes seem so effortless, so seemingly haphazard and yet upon study they're deliberate and not lacking purpose.

Destiny is a fanzine published in 1974 and edited by Paul Hugli. Comic Odyssey's Sandy Sansolis was gracious enough to send it to me along with some stuff I bought at his store. Thanks Sandy!

The fanzine is remarkable in that it has a considerable feature on Filipino comics artists, including many illustrations and interviews with Alfredo Alcala, Nestor Redondo, Alex Niño and Jesse Santos conducted by Orvy Jundis.