Saturday, August 18, 2001


NEW X-MEN ANNUAL 2001
Out this week!



I finally got a good look at the just released Xmen Annual. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I was pretty disappointed by how the last job we did turned out. I'm talking about our 6 page back up story for this year's Fantastic Four annual. My lines seemed to have thickened out and blotted all over the place. In this Xmen annual's instance though, it's just right. There are still a few things I feel uneasy about and can't bear to look at, but those things are my fault. In a few areas, the lines do blot, but that's because the day I inked that page, it was quite humid and really made inking difficult.

So anybody notice the different format? I think it's cool! Sort of like Frank Miller's 300 some time ago. It made for really LOOOOONG 2 page spread. Check out one such spread below.



I still can't believe I've been involved in something like this. 15 years ago when I was still in college, I had already been sending submissions to Marvel, and the characters I drew were the X-Men. Sort of really pleasantly surreal that I've finally worked on the book many years later. And to be working on it with amazingly talented people like Grant and Leinil makes it all better!

Thanks to Richard Starkings. You rule, dude!!