Wednesday, July 02, 2003


SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT #1 by Mark Waid, Leinil Francis Yu, colored by Dave McCaig and inked by me has just been released. I'm relieved to finally see this book as we had been working on it since last year. I remember working on #1 back when I got married last December.

Working on Superman has been something else. I have inked on some high profile books in the past, even X-Men and other X-Books with writers like Chris Claremont, Warren Ellis and Grant Morrison. Amazingly talented people all...but there's just something about Superman. He's THE one. The one who started it all. Holding the issue in my hands and seeing my name on the cover...it's just simply unbelievable. And they even got my name right!

I received my complimentary copies today straight from Quebecor and I did something I rarely do with comics I had worked on. I sat down and read it. You see, I was a huge HUGE comics fan back before I started working in comics. In many ways, I'm STILL a fan, but it's not like it was before. When I worked on Wolverine or X-Men or X-Force, I couldn't bring myself to read those issues because I had been so involved in creation of the art that it was difficult to immerse myself in the story. I couldn't see Logan battling for his life or Sam punching through the ground from the sky or Scott blasting a building with his eyes. All I could see were the ink lines I had put down. Maybe it's got to do with working behind the scenes and knowing how the magic is done...that I lose the appreciation for the magic myself.

Not so with Superman. I sat down to read it and at the end of it, I completely forgot I had worked on it and just enjoyed it.



That's me and Ilyn at the Exotik Restaurant from a couple of months ago. I just got the picture from my mom and I really like this picture. I think it's the best picture of me and Ilyn together.

It's been a busy month, June was. I'm still desperately trying to finish The Judge's House for Graphics Classics. I'm running late and I also got Superman to ink. I manage to do both at the same time, but it leaves me with very little time for anything else. If I haven't been posting much to this blog it just means I had been working on those books.

My pal Leinil Francis Yu, artist on Superman, will be getting married this Sunday and I'm one of the secondary sponsors. With his marriage and a deadline in three weeks, I'm curious to see how he will pull it off. Actually, I'm curious how I will pull it off. Ha! ha! I'll let you all know how it goes...