Monday, February 23, 2004


I updated the site with an expanded Francisco V. Coching art gallery. Clicking on this link will bring you to the gallery, with a link to the old article below. Coching is considered the "Dean of Philippine Comics" and if his name is not familiar to you, unlike Alex Niño's and Nestor Redondo's, that's because Coching never really did any work outside of the Philippines. I'm quite sure he was offered many times, but he decided not to leave the Philippine audience who loyally followed his stories for many years.

That doesn't lessen the beauty of his work and the undeniable influence on literally every Filipino comics artist who came after him including Niño, Redondo, Alfredo Alcala, Fred Carillo, Rudy Nebres, etc. It's difficult to find sites that showcase his work but you can find them here and here. And another one here. That last one is pretty cool, though the constantly resizing pages drive me crazy.

I think Coching's work really needs to get out there. I hope those galleries don't go down anytime soon and I'll be keeping mine up as long as I can, and I'll continue to expand it when I get some new material to show.