Friday, May 06, 2005

Hotlinking Images


Hotlinking Images


"Hotlinking" images is the practice of embedding images on your site, blog, message board, etc., that are hosted on somebody else's site. Hotlinking has been driving up the traffic on my site abnormally because not only does it have to deal with the traffic of visitors to my site, it now has to deal with the traffic on other sites who use my images.

I really don't mind sharing, but unfortunately, I have a limit on the amount of traffic my site can take per month. It's a pretty high limit, but for the past several months, traffic on my site has been so high that my site was almost closed several times. And I really can't let that happen.

So I'm denying hotlinking to my site from now on. I apologize for the inconvenience, but you can still save images on my site if you like and then upload them in one of the many free image hosting sites like Photobucket.com, and then link from there.

By denying hotlinking, direct linking to images on my site my site is also unfortunately denied. Direct linking means that my images do not appear on your site, but you are providing a clickable link that points directly to the image. Direct linking is allowable to me, but I don't know how to configure my settings to allow it.

If you wish to link to any image on my site, feel free to link to the html page that contains the image instead.