Friday, July 14, 2006

Pre-Graphic/Fiction Award Notes


If we are to acknowledge 1886 as the year "komiks" was born when Filipino National Hero Dr. Jose Rizal wrote and drew the strip "The Monkey and the Tortoise", then 2006 is the 120th year anniversary of Philippine Comics. It's a monumental milestone that will first see acknowledgment at this year's 1st Graphic/Fiction Awards tomorrow.



I've put together a special 6-minute video that will debut in the event, which I hope will celebrate this rich and enormous komiks legacy. In the six minutes I had to me, I had to jam every detail that I could into it, but it's impossible to put them all in such a short piece. Many artists and writers have had to be left out, not out of neglect, but out of lack of space. Hopefully, a much larger documentary can be made in the future that would prove to be widely comprehensive.

I'll make the video viewable right here as soon as I get back home from the event on Saturday night, or Sunday morning.