Thursday, February 23, 2006

Carlo Vergara, Arnold Arre, Humanis Rex


Graphic Classics: Rafael Sabatini


... has been finally released! I'm particularly happy with this volume specially because my pal Carlo Vergara has a 40 page story!


Here's a page from Carlo's adaptation of Rafael Sabatini's "Captain Blood", as adapted by writer Rod Lott. Very very nice work, Carlo. Congrats!

I also have an 11 page adaptation of Sabatini's "Plague of Ghosts" as written by Tom Pomplun. Here's a page from it:



For more info about this book click here. To buy this book at Amazon, click here.



Arnold Arre's "Ang Mundo Ni Andong Agimat" is now scheduled to come out on April 2006. Having seen some artwork from this universe Arnold is building, it definitely looks promising.

Wow, it looks like April will see a lot of new comics. My own ELMER: THE ULTIMATE CHICKEN story #1 will come out this April as well.

I've now read all three available issues of Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldisimo's TRESE and I've got to say it's gearing up to be one of the best comics we've seen in a long time. Three fantastic issues in a row *can't* be a fluke. Budjette Tan is now officially my favorite Filipino comics writer working today, and Trese my favorite comic book. The third issue "Our Secret Constellation", brought me to tears. Fans of Pinoy Komiks will find much to appreciate in this issue. I'll say no more.

I'm very happy that they are continuing to do this comic book, and I'm confident that this will eventually be compiled and be read by more people. A true classic in the making.

Congrats to Budjette and Kajo!


Commander Rodrigo Solomon. Humanis Rex! Part 11

I've been feeling somewhat bad the past week. It's affected my work somewhat, but I managed to finish installments of Johnny Balbona and Humanis Rex. However, it's put a serious wrench into my entry to the Neil Gaiman contest. It's possible that I won't finish, but what can I do? It seems the rest I took wasn't enough. I would feel really bad, not because I won't be able to join the contest, but because I'll be letting down Dave Hontiveros yet again. I already owe this guy so much. I'll make it up to you man, somehow, someway.

Me and Ilyn are planning a getaway sometime in April. We'll stay at our little resthouse at our place at San Dig, San Pablo city for a week. There's no electricity there so there won't be any computers, refrigerators, TV, radio, or anything technological. There won't even be a phone. There's water, but I think I'll get it in pails from somewhere. As for food, we have lots of fruit bearing trees around, but I think there's a point-point place some way down the road, just in case. he.he. I can make coffee with my new nifty coffee press.

I'll most likely spend my time just drawing and writing, and just spending some quality time with Ilyn (which I do often everyday anyway, but less is more definitely doesn't apply).

My good pal and Komikero Rene Enriquez took some really cool pictures of our place during the last Komikero meeting. Check out those pics here.

Rene, you're amazing, man!!