Monday, March 20, 2006

DENGCOY MIEL's ELMER



Dengcoy Miel
Elmer Art

Imagine when THIS fell on my lap. Stunning! And from someone like Dengcoy Miel no less, one of the greatest Filipino cartoonists of this generation. I am awed. I'm not worthy!

Nevertheless, I'm extremely grateful. Thanks Deng!! Mabuhay ka!

With all these incredible art I've been getting, I've decided to find a place for the really cool ones in the pages of Elmer #1 and following issues, putting them onto shirts, posters in the background, newspapers, books, etc.

I would have put some of the really terrific ones on the back cover since they're fully colored, but I've already comissioned artwork from non-comic book friends and acquaintances for the back covers, artists who I feel are unique in each their own way. The artist on the back cover of Elmer #1 is painter Solano S. Cruz, my old painting teacher when I was a teenager.


Solano S. Cruz
18"x24" Oil on Canvas

Readers of Crest Hut Butt Shop would know who Solano Cruz is and his significance in my life, and well, to ELMER. I think having a painting of his specially commissioned for this project is immensely appropriate.

In the Philippine Art world, Solano S. Cruz, born in 1935 in Norzagaray, Bulacan, is known as the originator and proponent of "Banignism", a style of painting where brushstrokes simulate the pattern of local woven mats. His paintings appear on Hallmark Christmas greeting cards and his murals grace the lobbies of banks. In 1997, Malacanang commissioned him to paint a mural along Pasig River for "Piso Para sa Pasig." Solano Crus founded LUNDA (Luntiang Daigdig Artists, Inc.)

If anyone wishes to send your own chicken art, anybody is welcome! All artwork I receive will appear on the ELMER OFFICIAL SITE, and all of the really cool ones will appear in the comic book themselves, with your permission of course. I won't be able to pay you, but you will receive a free copy, and my eternal gratitude. :)

Email artwork to me here: gerryalanguilan(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thanks!