Wednesday, December 17, 2003


This is a panel from City of Light, a short story I drew for Unbound Comics a few years ago. I was going over the files in my computer and found some art I haven't seen in a while and I thought I'd put it here.

I've been thinking a lot about this choice I've made, that of being a comics creator over every other option I have had. I remember showing up at a former classmate's house with my portfollio way back in 1994. I still had that long hair and I was enthusiastically showing my drawings. My classmate looked at me looking really amazed. Not at my drawings, but the fact that I was doing this stuff "AT MY AGE". At my AGE, I had that long hair. At my AGE I was still messing around with comics. Not too long ago I met another former classmate at a local mall and we got to talking about our respective careers. The way he mentioned "comics" sounded so condescending that all of a sudden as I looked at the face of this "friend" I had known ever since I was a kid, I realized I didn't know him at all. Not in any way that really matters.

During both times I was never hesitant, I was never ashamed to tell anyone what my job was. Maybe they'll like it better or maybe "GET" it better if I told them I was an architect instead but no, I dont' exist to to give way to the ignorance of other people. I write and draw comics. That's what I do. It pays the bills, I don't neglect any of my responsibilities, I abide by the laws, I don't smoke and I don't drink and I don't do drugs . Beyond that, I can do whatever the fuck I want and I don't have to make excuses about what I do for a living just so other people would feel more comfortable towards me.