Thursday, August 17, 2006

Siglo: Passion, Lastikman Nominations




Lastikman and Siglo: Passion are both finalists in the "Best Comic Book" category of 25th National Book Awards, the winner of which will be announced on Thursday, 4pm, August 31 at the Manila International Book Fair.

Since there are only 2 finalists in the comic book category, one of these two books I've worked on is sure to win. he.he. I wrote the story for Lastikman, which was illustrated magnificently by Arnold Arre, colored so colorfully by Edgar Tadeo with some assist from Ryan Orosco, and published by Mango Comics.

For Siglo: Passion, I wrote, drew and colored a 12 page story called "San Pablo: 1978". I had been meaning to do revisit San Pablo, 1978 and talk about working on it. Maybe next week.

I have to say, I'm really happy that our work had been recognized. I won't say shit like oh, it's an honor just to be nominated, because well, it *is* an honor, but I want to win, you know? It's nice to know that such an illustrious group of people think my work is really good enough to be so recognized, not only for me, but for everyone else who worked on those books.

I find it strange though, that Lastikman should be nominated this year. If it would have been nominated at all it should have been last year, because Lastikman was published towards the end of 2004. As far as I know, only those eligible to win this year are those published in 2005. I hate to seemingly sabotage my own chances, but you know, someone's BOUND to notice sooner or later. It might as well come from me first.

Any which way this turns out, congratulations to all my comrades who I worked with on both these projects! I just might go and attend the awarding ceremony, because I know it would make for a very interesting video blog. :)

Other comic book related nominations include:

SPECIAL INTEREST: Huling Ptyk: The Art of Nonoy Marcelo by Pandy Aviado, Sylvia Mayuga, and Dario Marcelo.
BEST DESIGN: Huling Ptyk: The Art of Nonoy Marcelo.

And speaking of video blogging....

I'm currently documenting, via video, the process I go through in doing one installment of Humanis Rex! I've documented the process from the writing, to the layout, to the pencilling and inking and later, coloring, lettering and sending it off. It's currently scheduled as "Komikero Video Blog #6", which I will upload on Saturday, August 26.

I'm about to start coloring it, and with a deadline set for tomorrow, Friday, it's going to be a close one. You'll all get to see just how it all goes next week. :)

For this Saturday, August 19, Komikero Video Blog #5 will have me touring a little bit of the house, including some comics and art on the walls, and an interview with some students for their thesis.