Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Comics Odyssey Opening/Signing/ELMER/Crescent Shield


Comics Odyssey Opening

Comic Book Signing

October 7, 2006
12-3pm
3rd Level, Expansion Mall
Robinson's Galleria, Ortigas

I know I said I'll be going away for a while, but I just had to post this announcement about this upcoming event I'll be in.

Comics Odyssey will be opening a new branch in Robinson's Galleria in Ortigas on October 7, Saturday, and several Filipino comic book artists will be making an in-store appearance to help launch the store and do a signing!

The following artists have confirmed their attendance:

Leinil Francis Yu (New Avengers, Ultimate Wolverine, Superman Birthright)
Gerry Alanguilan (Superman Birthright, Wasted, Elmer, Humanis Rex!)
Edgar Tadeo (Silver Surfer, Wolverine)
Wilson Tortosa (Tomb Raider, Battle of the Planets)
Carlo Pagulayan (Hulk, Fantastic Four)
Jeff Huet (Hulk, Fantastic Four)

See you all there! Unfortunately, Elmer #2 won't be ready yet by this time, but if you haven't checked out my newest comic book yet, the store will certainly be carrying copies of #1.

+

Crescent Shield has finally released the cover that I did for their debut album. Check it out here.

+

Work continues on Elmer #2. It's tight, but I really think I'm gonna make it for Oct. 21. This issue is probably the most emotionally draining to do so far, but I can't wait to finish it and share it with everybody. I thought there would be little opportunity to incorporate some of the art sent to me, but it turns out I will be able to include a lot.

Some of the initial reaction to my announcement of this project back in March was met with some skepticism. It's understandable because a story about chickens couldn't be anything but comedic and it's assumed perhaps I'm once again dicking around like I've done with Crest Hut. Make no mistake, dicking around is fun. I love doing Crest Hut and I'll continue to do them later on after I've gotten Elmer out of my system.

Inspite of the chickens, I'm approaching the material as seriously as I can. I want to see how far I can go with a ridiculous concept and treat it as seriously as possible. It opens up a lot of interesting storytelling possibilities.