Friday, May 12, 2006

Elmer/Toycon


Elmer/Toycon Updates


When is Elmer coming out? It's a question I've been asked a lot recently. I'm very grateful for the positive response that the preview has had so far, so I really can't wait to share the first issue as soon as I can. I apologize for moving the release of the first issue by a month as I had to take care of legalizing Komikero Publishing, which has just been finished. With the kind of bureaucracy we have, doing that is an achievement in itself. But thank God Ilyn volunteered to take care of a lot of the legwork as she was setting up her own business at the same time. I can't stand standing in lines to be honest. I have really no patience for it so really, I don't think I would have been able to do it on my own. The comic book will be at the printers by next week, and should be available towards the end of the month. In the meantime, here is a brilliant chicken cartoon art by Elbert Or.



I've been asked if I will getting a booth at the Toycon next week. The Komikero group and I have been mainstays for several years at the Toycon and although it would have been nice to go this year, I'm afraid I won't be able to. It's got nothing to do with the Toycon itself or the organizers because to toys and collectibles fans, it's still the one and only Philippine collectibles event to go to. But I decided as early as last year that I will only concentrate on the Komikon and other events where comics is the central theme. The Toycons had been fun, but the response, interest, enthusiasm and business we were able to make at the Komikon far surpasses all our Toycon years combined. This is also the year I need to be more careful of my finances, and paying for a booth at the Toycon is unfortunately one of the things I've had to forgo, specially since I need to take stock of my finances for a possible Comics Festival here in San Pablo in December.