Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tony DeZuniga Interview, Dave Cockrum Tribute



Komikero.com Exclusive!
Tony DeZuniga Interview

November 27, 2006
San Pablo City, Laguna, Philippines


It was a great honor for me to welcome to my home veteran Filipino comics illustrator Tony DeZuniga. He is best known to comics fans as the co-creator of Black Orchid and Jonah Hex.

I did a short video interview with him for this site. I asked him about why he chose comics for a career, how he approaches his work, and his thoughts on Jonah Hex. Tony leaves for the US again tomorrow, but he will be back for an exhibit of his work at Megamall in February 2007.



Thanks to Tony and Tina DeZuniga! More on Tony in future posts.

+


I just wanted to talk about the passing of one of my comics heroes, DAVE COCKRUM. I was saddened to hear of his death. He was the very first Marvel artist whose work I really liked, having seen his art on early issues of the new X-men back in the late 70's.

Reading his X-men was a mind blowing experience. It was artwork the likes of which I've never seen before. Each panel of each page was exploding with action and dynamism. Check out the fight at JFK airport between Erik the Red and the X-men in issue #97 and you'll see what I mean. Seeing Havok and Storm cutting loose like they never have before or since was one of the most exciting things I've seen as a kid, and to tell you the truth, I still get a thrill looking at it now.

Dave Cockrum remains as one of my biggest inspirations. My prayers go Dave and his family.

You were, and still are one of the best!