Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Elmer Review


First international ELMER review from Steven Grant!

ELMER #1 by Gerry Alanguilan, 32p b&w comic (50 pesos Philippine; American price unknown)
Alanguilan has turned into one good cartoonist, and his fable about an angry talking rooster trying to carve out a place for himself in a human world prejudiced against chickens despite promises of equality and equal opportunity. The parallels are obvious but understated, the characters touching, and Alanguilan does as good as job with the dialogue as he does with the art. If I can be allowed one chicken joke, this is the work of a mature talent that has come home to roost. Check it out if you get the chance.


http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=10

Yeah! Thanks Steven! I worked with Steven years ago on Wildstorm Spotlight: Loner. I've been a fan of his ever since I read the first issue of Punisher: Circle of Blood. He's practically the reason why Punisher became so successful in the 90's. I respect his opinion because he's so unrelentingly honest, and he's never pulled his punches on my earlier works. For him to like Elmer really means a lot.

I had hoped to make Elmer available to US buyers at this time, but currently, I'm still talking to Mile High Comics and Independent Propaganda so those from North America would have easier access to it. Because of the cost of shipping and distributor fees, I've had to peg the dollar amount of Elmer at US $2.95 per issue. That's the lowest I can go to ensure it makes as much money when it sells locally.



I've had visitors from Manila today! There's Andrew Drilon of Ran Online, Mike Simbulan, formerly of Comicquest, and Cast's Elbert Or. Thanks for the visit, guys! I've discovered that seeing other human beings once in a while is actually a good thing!