Monday, August 01, 2005

ARCHON




ARCHON #1
Inking Portfolio #1
February 1995

Starting today, I'll do a little reminiscing and revisit all the comics I've ever inked. I've been inking for more than 10 years now, and as my career as a full-time inker (at least for other people) is coming to an end with Silent Dragon, I thought I'd take a look back at all the things I inked for the past decade.

My first inking job was Archon published by Mega Magazine and Alamat. Although I really can't say it was a job as it was done simply for fun and no payment was involved (or asked). It was just something to help out a few friends come up with their own comic book. I think I inked 5 pages here over artist Joseph Fouts.

I was invited to join this comic book by Archon co-creator Russel Tomas, who I met via my brother who met Russel on an online bulletin board in those early Internet days. Russel andI hit it off immediately and I agreed not only to ink some of the pages, but I drew a pinup of one of the characters as well, which also appears in the issue.

By this time, I had already been drawing comics for around 3 years both for established Philippine companies, but also for myself and independent companies like Alamat. Having inked myself all this time, the concept of inking other people has yet to enter my mind. It was nice to try it out with Joseph, and although it was at first weird to see my textures and inks on a finished drawing that was not fully mine, I started to think about the nature of such artistic collaborations, and how the mix of two artists on one piece of art could produce something unique.